YouTuber Sarah Hawkinson did a deep dive on the differences between online and traditional, in-person therapy.
In the video, she recommends BetterHelp, which is also the paid service we recommend.
The pros of online therapy:
- No restrictions – you can message your therapist as often as you’d like.
- Comfort – you don’t have to leave your home to engage in a session.
- Communication options – talk to a therapist via text message, email, phone call or video chat.
- No wait – it can take a couple of a weeks before you can see a therapist, which isn’t ideal if you need support right now.
- Anonymous – you can be totally anonymous, no one has to know who you are.
- Affordability – online therapy is usually more affordable than in-person therapy.
- Better matching – online therapy will often match you to a counselor best suited to fit your needs, no longer are you restricted to whoever is in driving distance.
If you think online therapy is the right solution for you, we encourage you to answer BetterHelp’s short questionnaire to be matched with a therapist. If you’re just looking to talk to someone, we recommend our free online therapy chat.