Frequently Asked Questions
How is this website and service free?
Yes, there is no fee to use Free Online Therapy. Our plan and promise is to keep our platform and community free of charge for eternity. We're able to do this due to the community support our platform receives. We do not need full time staff to run this because our community of volunteer listeners is always on the job.
How do I get started?
Getting started with Free Online Therapy is simple. First create an account. Then select whether you would like to be a "listener" or a "venter". Listeners are community members who are here to help out individuals who may be struggling. Venters are those who are struggling with anxiety, depression, or other challenges in their lives.
Who will be helping me?
Our Free Online Therapy community members will be helping you during your therapeutic chat experiences. Our community members are from a diverse background, and located in many countries. If at any time a community member makes you uncomfortable, please use our reporting feature to report this member. Members who receive multiple reports will be banned from our community.
Is Free Online Therapy right for me?
Free Online Therapy may be right for you if you're looking to improve the quality of your life. Whenever there is anything that interferes with your happiness or prevents you from achieving your goals, we may be able to help. Please visit our free online therapy guide for additional information.
Free Online Therapy is not the right solution for you if any of the following is true:
- You have thoughts of hurting yourself or others
- You are a minor or you are under the care of a legal guardian
- You are in an urgent crisis or an emergency situation
- You have been diagnosed with a severe mental illness, or if you have been advised to be in psychological supervision or psychiatric care
- You were required to undergo therapy or counseling either by a court order or by any other authority
- You do not have a device that can connect to the Internet or you do not have a reliable Internet connection.
Will my privacy be protected?
Can I stay anonymous?
Yes, you can stay anonymous. We never recommend sharing your identify with individuals in our therapy chats. The safety of our community members is always our highest priority.